Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Madema Butterfly

When the video started and we see a white military man with an asian woman I knew there were a couple options for the ending of this thing. My first one was that the man was just using the woman to get what he wanted, but I honestly didn't think that was going to be the real story. After the most unnecessary sex scene I've ever seen and the woman waits for this man to come back, he just takes her child and leaves with his "real" family.

 In my opinion it shows he never really thought of her as a person and just an object to dispense what he wanted. I didn't think it was going to end the way it did though. I understand the umbilical cord was mean to be symbolic, but it just makes me kind of angry that she didn't fight back and merely ended her life.

The art type, puppet stop motion, helped give the ending scene a bit more impact. This worked because the stuffing and doll pieces coming apart really does a great job of getting the true nature of her pain across. It takes the phrase "coming apart at the seams" literally and it does it well.
Part of me is very angry at the woman character for not seeing this was going to happen and fighting for herself and her child or at least not doing anything with him in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment